By now you probably know that we love using essential oils here at My Grandma Ben, from diffusing them to lift our spirits to cleaning around the house – but we especially love using them in our beauty routine.
Gone are the days of unfulfilling shower routines – get ready to say hello to body oils! Adding your favourite essential oils to a nourishing base of sweet almond oil is a simple and inexpensive way to create a luxurious body oil to use after showering every day, or whenever your skin is in need of a little extra TLC.
Essential oils are extremely potent and need to be blended into a neutral carrier oil, like sweet almond oil, before applying them to your body. A 2% concentration of essential oils is the ideal strength.
To make it ridiculously easy for you to mix up your own blends, we’ve done all the maths ahead of time, and here’s everything you need to know.
What you need to know
There are 20 ‘drops’ in 1ml of essential oil.
We recommend making 100ml of body oil at a time. This is a good amount to decide if you like the scent you’ve made (but most importantly to make the maths super easy)!
To make a 2% strength body oil, add 40 drops of essential oil to 100ml of sweet almond oil.
Sweet almond oil is our favourite base oil as it is well balanced and suits nearly all skin types.
How to make your blend
- Counting as you go, add 40 drops of essential oil to a 100ml glass or metal bottle. Shake well to blend the oils.
- Top up with 100ml of sweet almond oil. Seal and shake well again to blend it all together.
- Store in your bathroom cupboard away from heat and direct light.
- Smother all over your body as soon as you jump out of the shower when your skin is still a little damp – this is the best way for the oil to absorb into your skin.
- The scent will actually improve over time as the different essential oils work their magic together.
Here is one of our favourite blends using the 40-drop method above – it’s the perfect combination of grounding, floral and fresh citrus scents.
Our favourite nourishing body oil blend
10 drops of sweet orange essential oil
10 drops of grapefruit essential oil
8 drops of lavender essential oil
7 drops of patchouli essential oil
5 drops of frankincense essential oil
Of course, you can use any combination of oils you like. If you don’t have a variety of oils on hand, an even simpler way of making a body oil is to add 40 drops of your favourite Mt. Retour blend to 100ml of sweet almond oil. We love the Oriental Bliss blend.
Important note: If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have any existing health problems, always talk with your healthcare professional or a qualified aromatherapist before using essential oils.